Friday, July 20, 2012

A quick word about Rigid Vs Inflatable Canoes

As I mentioned in an earlier post I recently took a friend out in my Sevylor Colorado and she immediately felt comfortable and at ease, which was a real achievement considering she doesn't swim! This got me to thinking about the differences between rigid and inflatable canoes.

Inflatable Canoe
Stable, comfortable, rides on waves, is affected greatly by wind, portable, easy storage, a pain to inflate, a bigger pain to dry before storage, and not very fast on the water


Rigid canoe
Pretty Stable, fairly comfortable, sits in the water, is affected a little by wind, bulky, easy storage if you have the space, good to go as soon as you hit the water, and no drying before storage, and it is fast on the water.

I have both and have to say there are pros and cons with each, but for a beginner, like my friend, I think I would choose the inflatable canoe every time. This is why...........

When you are head on to decent sized waves and the Colorado rides up over the top of them, and then has that satisfying "slap" as it crests - if you've been in one you will know what I mean - the feeling of riding over those waves is exhilarating. In a rigid canoe you just cut through those waves and feel nothing. If I am taking someone out for the first time I really want them to feel that they have done something exciting, exerted their own power over the water, I want them to look forward to the next wave, and the next.

I don't want them to feel like a front seat passenger on a ferry.

Let me know if you have a different opinion......

No comments:

Post a Comment